Monday, December 1, 2014 / by Jason Schaefer
It's always an enjoyable time of year with family, friends, too much food...and in most cases for home owners - putting up Christmas lights! Here are 5 tips for the light and decoration installers at your residence.
1. Inspect all the lights prior to putting them up to ensure they are working. Nothing worse than getting up on the extension ladder, lights hung, and half the string doesn't work!
2. Don't overload circuits and watch for electrical concerns. Check for any tears that might be in the wiring surface. If installing a lawn configuration, inspect the ground to make sure you're not installing on a low spot where potential ground water can collect. Lastly, make sure to tape down extension cords if they cross walk ways.
3. Make sure all extension cords you use are rated for outdoor use, along with the strand(s) of lights you choose to use.
4. Take extreme caution on rooftops. Best is to use an extension ladder if possible, and use nails in eves so you are ready for next year. Even better yet, have someone make sure to hold the ladder for stability. If it's too big of a challenge - hire somebody to do it.
5. Once the holidays are over - remove the lights. Leaving them up year round can cause the wires to wear and become weather damaged.
Best of luck to all of the Clark Griswold's in the Missoula area that are decorating!